Southern Miss splits double-header in opening conference play

Southern Miss captured its first win since September 4 against the Southern Jaguars, by shutting out the Charlotte 49ers, 1-0. It was the first win against the 49ers in USM history.

For the first time in 630 minutes of action, the Golden Eagles scored a goal. In the first two minutes of the match against the 49ers, freshman forward Kierstin Bradley scored the lone goal of the game. For the rest of the match, USM took eight shots and failed to register another point.

The defense for Southern Miss held nicely, as Charlotte shot 17 times, never putting one into the goal. Junior goalie Brittany Taylor had nine saves on the night, and six in the second half alone.

Southern Miss could not ride the wave of their win against Charlotte, losing at Louisiana Tech 2-0.

Freshman Mary Kate Smith paced the Golden Eagles with four shots, landing two shots on goal. The 5-foot, 4-inch defender was followed in shots by freshman defenseman Ashton Stennis, who had two shots for herself. As a team, the Golden Eagles had ten shots with only three on goal.

The defense for the Golden Eagles was piteous all night. The Golden Eagles allowed 12 shots, which six of them landed on goal. The Bulldog offense was anxious in their attack, catching five offsides penalties for the game. Bulldogs junior Kathryn Sloan had two goals on just three shots, both pacing the Louisiana Tech attack.

The Golden Eagles struggled all weekend offensively, but the defense overall held steady, allowing only three goals in two games. With only six games left until Conference USA Championships, they will have to straighten up their act all-around to stay competitive.

Southern Miss will travel to Miami to take on the FIU Panthers on Sept. 9.