Golden Eagles place 15th at Oak Hills invite

Southern Miss traveled to the Oak Hills Invitational in San Antonio, Texas to participate in a two-day golf tournament against various teams from around the southern collegiate area.

After the first day of play, USM held steady in 15th place led by freshman Willie Hammond who scored an eight-over 150 and placed 34th on the day.

USM as a hole did not start strongly, but had the next day to rebound for a better placing against such teams as UTSA, Louisiana Tech, North Texas and Baylor.

The Golden Eagles shot their lowest round of competition on Tuesday with a 298 over the final 18 holes.

Junior Ryan Argotsinger  paced the Golden Eagles with a one-under par 70 in his 54- hole performance. He had a total of 224 strokes and placed 32nd overall.

Freshman Willie Hammond finished next in line for the Golden Eagles with a 228 stroke total and placing 49th in a tie. Senior Hayes Weathersby placed 66th with a 233 stroke total for the Golden Eagles. Rounding out the team was freshman Nick Cortez who placed 74th with a 238 stroke total.

No. 44 Baylor took the crown in the event with a team stroke finish of 863. No. 11 Oklahoma trailed their score by five strokes and La. Tech rounded out the competitive finishes in third place.

The Golden Eagles will return to play Feb. 22 and 23 at the Mobile Intercollegiate in Mobile, Ala.