Science sheds light on Valentine’s trends

It’s time to dust off those romantic-ish movies. Get out your Marvin Gaye records. Valentine’s Day is upon us again.

Some people think Valentine’s Day is just a commercial holiday based on materialistic ties such as Allison Gregory of Rolla, Missouri.

“Valentine’s Day is too materialistic,” Gregory said.

Senior business administration major Amanda Cato said she thinks Valentine’s Day is one of the most materialistic holidays.

“I don’t have a Valentine’s Day story from when I was married,” Ciato said. “Not one I can remember anyway.”

Cato remembers one sweet Valentine’s Day story from her high school days.

“A boy and I were dating [and] I was sick at the time,” she said. “He rode my bus to visit me and delivered me a Kiss Kiss Bear.”

Meghan Mitchell-Perronne, a recently married English literature major has fond thoughts of Valentine’s Day.

“I might get flowers from my husband or some candy or something small, but it’s not necessary,” Perronne said. “I might get him some candy he

likes or something too, but nothing crazy. We don’t really need a special day or things to show we love each other.”

The fact is the materialistic side of it actually plays a role in the psychology of why people fall in love on affectionate holidays.

According to a University of Michigan research paper, “Be Mine: Attachment avoidance predicts perceptions of relationship functioning on Valentine’s Day,” that is not always the case.

According to paper, “The current study found that Valentine’s Day increased perceptions of relationship satisfaction and investment, but only when relationships were accessible and only among individuals low in attachment avoidance. “

Dylon Taylor from Long Beach proposed to his girlfriend Olivia in the most peculiar way.

“One day Dylon and I were driving down 90 and he looked at me and said he was bored,” Olivia said. “Next thing he said was let’s go to Walmart and get married.”

April will be Olivia and Dylon’s 2-year anniversary.

“Stranger Danger? Women’s Self-protection intent and the Continuing Stigma of Online Dating,” a study by the National Center for Biotechnology Information assessed the stigma of online dating.

The study found people who date online are more likely to put up a wall of defense at first rather than if the people who dated online had met face to face for a brief encounter first.

Carol Switzer from Ringgold, Gerogia said she first started speaking to her husband in online chat rooms on AOL, the antiquated equivalent of Facebook or Twitter.

The Switzers have married for 14 years. Maybe a little wall of defense goes a long way.

No matter where you come from, your lifestyle, what have you, just know that whether or not you like Valentine’s Day is irrelevant to the fact that there is statistically somebody out there for you.

Google reports the world’s population is 7 billion. That means there are 6.99 billion people out there for any one ofus.

All the haters of Valentine’s Day can have a wonderful time sending regrets to all the party invites while the lovers of the world will spend their Feb. 14 however they so choose.