USM draws offensive wild card in UNO game

Southern Miss continued their hot offensive start to the season defeating New Orleans 7-4 with a productive offense, and a deep bullpen.

USM would start the night off with Dylan Burdeaux taking a walk, and Tim Lynch driving Burdeaux to home by singling to center field. UNO would come right back in the third inning with a singling RBI of their own.

UNO would take their first advantage at the top of the fourth inning, with a bases loaded pop fly, bringing in Hezekiah Randolph for the score. Another score came in for the Privateers and USM saw their deficit grow to three, 3-1.

“Those were situations earlier in the game in which we did not execute well,” Berry said. “It certainly was not our best game, probably our worst game this year in a young, four-game this season.”

At the bottom of the fourth, Chase Scott took the 0-2 pitch and homered to left center to bring in Taylor Braley to tie the game up at 3-3. The Golden Eagles would end up scoring the same amounts in the fifth and seventh innings also. Those runs would keep USM ahead, and giving them the win.

As a team, Southern Miss stepped up to the plate 32 times and got 11 hits. The Golden Eagles also struck out six times.

Austin Millet collected the win for the Golden Eagles, coming in relief of Hunter Stevens in the fourth inning, giving up one hit, a walk and striking out one in just 2.2 innings. USM would end up using four pitchers in the contest.

Leading off the offensive slate was Tim Lynch, who hit three balls in his five at-plate appearances. Taylor Braley and Nick Dawson both had two hits for the Golden Eagles also.

“Every win is big,” Berry said. “Our approach this year is to take it one game at a time and that’s what we are doing.”

Southern Miss will start their three game series Friday against Northwestern State at Pete Taylor at 6 p.m.