Margot Robbie to diversify male- dominated DC universe

After starring in Warner Bros. movies “Focus,” “Tarzan” and “Suicide Squad,” actor Margot Robbie signed a deal with Warner Bros. on Sept. 14 to develop and produce films with LuckyChap Entertainment.

Most exciting to “Suicide Squad” fans, Robbie is officially producing and starring in a Harley Quinn solo film.

Harley Quinn became a DC cinematic universe fan favorite after debuting in the live-action “Suicide Squad” film in August, but Robbie didn’t initially understand why.

“I just didn’t understand how she could be such a badass and then fall to pieces over some guy,” Robbie said. “I found that really frustrating. Fans seem to really love that about her, that she has this complete devotion to a guy that treats her badly.”

Critics of the movie have argued that the Joker’s and Quinn’s abusive relationship is romanticized because most of the abusive scenes filmed for the movie were cut or revised. For instance, the scene in which Harley Quinn jumps from a falling helicopter with her “Puddin’” inside was changed; originally, the Joker would push her out of the helicopter so she would fall to her death.

Leto had a screen time of roughly 15 minutes in “Suicide Squad.”

Leto told BBC Radio 1 that he thinks there is enough Joker footage cut from “Suicide Squad” to make a standalone Joker movie.

Because Leto was absent for the majority of the film, many viewers rooted for the Joker’s and Quinn’s romantic reunion.

However, Robbie now has the opportunity to portray the character as independent.

Since 1992, Harley Quinn has appeared in numerous comics, some of which feature her as the protagonist, so Robbie shouldn’t have trouble finding a story or two that highlight Quinn’s hidden quirks.

In addition, before the solo film was confirmed, rumors of the film including other female supervillains and heroes flew.

While a few of the villains and heroes that may be featured (Batgirl, Poison Ivy and Birds of Prey) are only known to avid comic book readers, the inclusion of these characters will bring would expand the DC fanbase to more women.

DC may look to gain more female fans over the next few years by including prominent female characters, as “Wonder Woman” is set to premier in 2017.

Fans will likely have to wait a few years for Robbie’s Harley Quinn spinoff. DC has a long list of movies to be released within a span of four years, including “Justice League,” “Aquaman,” “Shazam” and “Cyborg.” Considering Robbie’s commitment and interest in her character, she may use her time wisely to evaluate and perfectly portray the anti- heroine.