Bennett listed among Ebony’s Power 100

Dr. Bennett stands for a portrait near the south gate of campus on his first official day as the University’s 10th president on April 1, 2013. Mary Alice Truitt/Printz
Mary Alice Truitt/Printz
Mary Alice Truitt/Printz

University President Rodney Bennett accompanies a distinguished group of individuals after being named to Ebony Magazine’s annual Power 100 list of the nation’s most esteemed African-Americans.

In the December/January issue that hits newsstands today, Ebony highlights African-Americans across many disciplines who have made remarkable achievements over the past year. The list of renowned individuals includes President Barack Obama, entertainment mogul Oprah Winfrey and five-time NBA Champion Magic Johnson.

The Power 100 list contains 14 categories of recognition. Bennett is included among “The Firsts” for his accomplishment of becoming the first African-American to lead Southern Miss or any of Mississippi’s historically white institutions of higher learning.

“This recognition by Ebony is certainly humbling, and it serves as a reminder of the responsibility I take very seriously as president of The University of Southern Mississippi,” Bennett said. “As educators at institutions of higher learning, we must strive to provide an environment that helps students achieve their goals and succeed beyond the classroom.”

The Tennessee native became the tenth president of the university on April 1. He previously served as vice president of student affairs at The University of Georgia.

“The Ebony Power 100 speaks volumes about the diversity of our accomplishments and the power of our collective influence across virtually every spectrum of society,” said Amy Dubois Barnett, editor-in-chief of Ebony. “We are thrilled to honor these exceptionally talented people who have inspired and enthralled us, and who have helped to shape our lives.”

To see the complete Power 100 list, visit Ebony’s website at ebony.com.