Website to assist veterans

Military site
Courtesy photo

Military veterans at The University of Southern Mississippi now have the opportunity to explore various degree programs and inquire about enrollment options by visiting a new website created by the Center for Military Veterans, Service Members and Families.

The website features the leadership and vision of the center, numerous forms and federal resources in regard to veteran education benefits, how to obtain credit and transcripts for military veterans, updates on military related events in the community and membership information about the Student Veterans of America organization on campus.

Maj. Gen. Jeff Hammond serves as the center’s director. Its mission is to establish sustainable conditions for a “military friendly” education support program that provides veterans, service members (active duty and National Guard), dependents and survivors the opportunity to pursue a degree at Southern Miss.

“We here at The University of Southern Mississippi know that our veterans and their families represent less than one percent of this nation’s population,” Hammond said. “We know how important you are, and we want to make a difference in your lives so you can go forth and make a big difference in the lives of so many others.”

Hammond is the Special Assistant to the President for Military & Veteran Student Affairs at USM. As an alumnus and graduate of the Southern Miss ROTC program, he served in the military for 32 years, commanding positions as a Battery, Battalion, Brigade Commander and Commanding General, 4th Infantry Division. His military awards include three Bronze Star medals, two Distinguished Service Awards and two awards of the Combat Action Badge. The Hattiesburg native was a former Southern Miss quarterback and team captain during his years at USM.

The Center for Military Veterans, Service Members and Families is located on campus in McCain Library and Archives, Room 113A. To access the new website, visit www.usm.edu/military-veterans.