Tyndall agrees to four-year contract extension

Tyndall+agrees+to+four-year+contract+extension+
Jamie Gominger
USM men’s basketball coach Donnie Tyndall celebrates 63-52 victory over La. Tech in the 2013 National Invitational Tournament in Reed-Green Coliseum. Jamie Gominger/Printz
USM men’s basketball coach Donnie Tyndall celebrates 63-52 victory over La. Tech in the 2013 National Invitational Tournament in Reed-Green Coliseum.
Jamie Gominger/Printz

The University of Southern Mississippi head basketball coach Donnie Tyndall signed a four-year contract extension with the Golden Eagles that runs through the 2017-2018 season.

Tyndall set a Division I school record in winning 27 games last season, a berth into the National Invitation Tournament, broke 44 school records, eight Reed Green Coliseum records and seven Conference USA streaks in his first season as the head coach of the program.

In his previous contract, Tyndall received $400,000 per year but will now receive $500,000 per year with the extension.

“I am very pleased that Coach Tyndall has reaffirmed his commitment to Southern Miss,” said Southern Miss Director of Athletics Bill McGillis. “I’m excited for Donnie and his family, the young men in our basketball program and our terrific fans.”

The second-year head coach eclipsed the 40-win mark faster than any other previous Southern Miss basketball coach. He has posted a 41-13 record through 54 games. Tyndall also has the Golden Eagles in a position to enter the Top 25 for the first time in 23 years.
According to the latest ESPN/USA Today coaches poll, Southern Miss received 15 votes and the team’s unofficial RPI is No. 27.
“I am very appreciative of Dr. Bennett and Bill McGillis in showing their confidence in me to grow our program at Southern Miss,” Tyndall said. “I am very appreciative of the amazing support of our great fans and community.”

Tyndall is no stranger to producing success on and off the basketball court. In his eighth season leading a Division I program, he has accumulated four 20-plus-win seasons in seven years including six seasons at Morehead State. He has taken his teams to four postseason tournaments, including twice to the NCAA tournament, once to the NIT and once to the CBI.

Academically, since coaching at the Division I level, 16 of his qualified 17 seniors received their undergraduate degree and the Southern Miss basketball team has reached its highest grade point average as a team in 18 years.

“Donnie is an outstanding leader of young men and has set high standards for them both on and off the court,” McGillis said. “He expects excellence, and he gives every ounce of energy he has in developing each and every one of his players to their fullest potential.”

The Golden Eagles (14-3) (1-1) are set to open home Conference USA action Jan. 16 against Rice University. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Reed-Green Coliseum.