Leno passes the torch to Fallon

Courtesy photo
Courtesy photo

After a long hard day at work, many men and women like to enjoy relaxing and watching each of their favorite movies or television programs. A few of the current popular choices include “The Walking Dead,” “Game of Thrones” and “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.” Let’s think think about that last title for a moment and consider the changes that may come from bringing a new host to this piece of television talk-show history.

“The Tonight Show” really kicked off with Johnny Carson from 1962-1992 and then gave the throne to Jay Leno from 1992 until 2009 and Conan O’Brien from June 2009 until January 2010. Leno then resumed his hosting position from March 2010 until his final show on Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014.

For a long period of time, NBC producers searched for a host to replace Leno. The task proved to be a long and difficult journey as they considered various famous faces that might keep Leno’s audience while bringing a younger crowd in as well.

Their search came to a close after they chose comedian Jimmy Fallon. One of the first moves Fallon made after being selected as the new host of the show was bringing it back to its home, Studio 6B in New York City. Forty years prior to Fallon’s new hosting gig, “The Tonight Show” was moved to California.

After moving the show back to the original location, Fallon was finally able to fill Lenos’ shoes for the first time on Thursday, Feb. 6.
The first episode of “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” received much praise and criticism from thousands of viewers.

“Fallon was able to bring back the fading viewers, increasing the advertising revenue in the short term, but dooming the show to mediocrity,” said Jones County Junior College sophomore political science student Trevor Schwartz.

Another change Fallon brought to the show was his set. His set seemed extremely reminiscent to that of fellow late night talk show host Conan O’Brien.

However, there were some very entertaining parts of the show as well, such as guests who made surprise appearances and the dance he performed with actor Will Smith. During Fallon’s previous hosting role on “The Jimmy Fallon Show,” he proved to be a comedic, entertaining host.

Because of the years of experience Fallon has as a host, I believe he will carry the “The Tonight Show” to new heights, as well as bring in younger audiences. Despite the issues that happened leading up to the first episode of “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,” I think he will be a great host. From his skills as a comedian to his natural ability to conduct entertaining interviews, Fallon is the perfect man to replace Leno.