USM’s graduation rate ranks lower than national average, other IHL institutions

The University of Southern Mississippi is an institution that prides itself on the quality of its graduates. Though the reputation may be well-deserved, reports released by the university bring into question how many students are actually graduating. 

The graduation rate for first-time freshmen who began classes at USM in Fall 2015 is at 51.8%. This rate gives first-time students a six-year window to graduate with their undergraduate degree. 

The average graduation rate for public institutions nationwide is 62 percent, according to the National Center for Educational Statistics. USM’s current rate is approximately 20% lower than the national average.  

USM’s graduation rate is lower than other in-state universities, like the University of Mississippi. According to UM’s statistics, the six-year graduation rate for the university is 68.4%, which is more than 32% higher than USM.

The current graduation rate is at its highest level, according to Amy Chasteen, the Executive Vice Provost for Academic Affairs at USM. 

Chasteen talked about this and similar statistics and about student success overall in a USM Faculty Senate meeting this past December. 

Her visit with senators then was mentioned in February’s faculty senate meeting, as senators deliberated on ways to increase graduation rates among students. 

Though numerous factors probably led to these numbers, they are still surprising to students, nonetheless. 

Kass Chandler is a senior music education major. As a transfer student at USM, she was unaware of the statistics relating to those who leave USM with diplomas. 

“It is a little surprising, actually,” Chandler said. “I mean, I never really thought about it, but I don’t know. I kind of just assumed it would be higher.” 

For freshman business major Tanner Carney, hearing information like this could have influenced where he went to college. 

“I wouldn’t say that it would necessarily make me not go to this school, but it would make me think about going to different schools probably more if I knew that coming in,” Carney said. 

Chasteen, in an email to the Printz, referenced materials that the university provides that can help to support students. It included the University Advisement Center, Center for Student Success, an Academic Concerns Reporting Form that faculty can report on behalf of students, among other things. Information regarding USM graduation and retention rates, as well as accreditation can be found at http://www.usm.edu/institutional-research/usm-student-achievement.php