Southern Miss shows confidence in improving offensive performance

Charlie Luttrell

Head Coach Will Hall pats Jakarius Caston on the head during a fall camp practice. Hall repeatedly praised Caston’s performance in camp and his talent.

Southern Miss is turning the page from its 3-9 finish from Will Hall’s first year and the focus to improving lie in fixing the offense’s inconsistencies, something the team has noted.

Southern Miss ranked No. 127 out of 130 Divison I programs last season, averaging just 266 yards per game with a national worst 14 fumbles lost.

Injuries plagued the offense, notably the bizarre situation that saw over ten players attempt a pass, including one of the only bright spots of the season in the success of the “Super Backs”.

The Golden Eagles have indeed addressed the issues at offense, bringing in a new offensive coordinator in Sam Gregg from Liberty and adding depth at the offensive line and skill positions.

It’s this added depth and talent at both sides of the ball that Head Coach Will Hall says makes the difference this season in how the team can prepare for their competition, especially for the team’s offensive line that allowed a No.126 ranked 44 sacks last season.

“Practice is where it matters most. Now, we’ve got three full groups of o-linemen with some extra, we have three full groups of d-linemen with extra.,” Hall said. “We can practice. There’s a cumulative effect of work that takes place over time…we couldn’t practice the right way all the time last year.”

With over two weeks in fall camp and now game preparations for the season-opener against Liberty, the team’s depth and full rotations has been visible.

It would be safe to say that the defense outperformed the offense through the majority of camp, but it’s days like the last scrimmage of fall camp that show the potential and firepower that this offense has. The question is if all the puzzle pieces can come together at the right time.

At the center of that question is redshirt freshman Ty Keyes. Hall noted the importance of resolving the team’s carousel at the quarterback position last season and returning to stability at the position.

“For us to take the next step as a program, we’ve got to get back to being a quarterback-driven program,” Hall said.

Keyes showed flashes in his appearances last season before going down with a season-ending injury but has been working ever since on his comeback, emphasizing his health and diet during his injury rehabilitation and transition back to the field.

“He puts a lot of time in and he’s really grown. He’s doing what it takes to be successful. We’re looking forward to putting him out there and coaching him, growing with him, and helping him and those around him to be a really good player,” Hall said.

Keyes and quarterback play was spotty overall during camp but it also had its highs. Hall noted that a fundamental aspect of Keyes’ game was taken away due to no contact in camp and that he is where “they expected him to be”.

Keyes only has a couple of games under his belt at Southern Miss, but his illustrious high school career experience and mentality of coming back this season has other teammates like running back Frank Gore Jr. believing that he can lead the offense to improving.

“Ty Keyes is a battler. He got hurt last year, but I feel like that’s a guy who’s going to lead us to the promised land this year and I’m very excited for him and this program,” Gore Jr. said.

If quarterback play can improve, then the talents of Southern Miss’ skill players will also shine.

Gore Jr. is an emerging collegiate force himself with 1,509 rushing yards and seven touchdowns in his first two seasons at Southern Miss. It is clear that he will continue to be Southern Miss’ number one running option, but the talent that Southern Miss has added behind him is tantalizing.

Freshman Kenyon Clay and Mississippi State transfer Janari Dean impressed in camp and will be certain to see a share of carries in the backfield this season. Sophomore Dajon Richard showed what he’s capable of with nearly 500 yards in less than 100 attempts last season.

And if the running game can succeed, it only opens up the passing game to a set of lethal options for Keyes.

Jason Brownlee has been noted as one of the Sun Belt’s premier receivers. While he missed significant time in fall camp, he has since returned to practice and Hall noted that he will be ready to go for the season.

Southern Miss added young talent to receivers in freshmen Davis Dalton, Tiaquelin Mims and Jack Johnson, and a transfer in Latreal Jones to add needed depth at the position.

Looked to be poised for a breakout season is junior Jakarius Caston, who caught 16 passes for 239 yards last season and shone in fall camp this year.

The unit has noted their confidence in their abilities and potential, something that Keyes said he realized himself in his two-touchdown performance against Alabama last season. He believes they are now ready to prove themselves.

“We are really going to show them who we are this season. Everyone thinks we are down at the bottom-we’re going to show them [and] we are going to shock the world,” Keyes said.