Serengeti Springs set to make a splash in Hattiesburg

After delays and struggles, Serengeti Springs at the Hattiesburg Zoo will finally reveal itself to the community on Saturday, May 25. With colorful slides, animal scenery and fun for all ages, this new water park is set to be a fun addition to the Hub City. 

Many changes have been made to the areas near the Hattiesburg Zoo to accommodate the new park. What was once a baseball field has now been turned into an aquatic attraction, with some aspects of the old field still present. A new parking lot has also been paved, and a grand entrance from Hardy Street is also being constructed. 

Upon entering the venue, guests can purchase tickets or merchandise such as towels, t-shirts, swimsuits and other necessities for the waterpark. Guests do not have to purchase their tickets in-person; tickets can also be bought online at the Serengeti Springs website. 

After they enter, guests can then store their belongings in lockers and make their way towards the attractions. The park is cashless, but a reverse-ATM is available for guests to make their purchases.

One of the exciting new additions to the park are the food options. Guests can visit the Boa Bites food trucks to purchase grilled food, pizza or tacos.

Noticeably, there are two giant buckets at the top of the attraction, intending to shower guests with cool water in the summer heat. Sprinklers and water cannons also blast guests as they make their way through the park.  

Cabanas are also available for guests to rent where they can relax in the shade. These cabanas feature personal safes, USB charging ports and ceiling fans. Employees at the park will also be available to fetch food and drinks for guests in the cabana. 

Guests can also purchase hamburgers and hot dogs from the new Chakula Snacks, which was once the concession stand for the Kamper Park baseball field. Popsicles by Pop Brothers will also be available for guests. 

Along with the food trucks and water slides, the Pole-Pole River is another attraction for guests to lounge and relax in. While the lazy river is attractive enough itself for guests, a swim-up bar has also been added to the attraction. At Habari Riverside Sips, guests can swim to the bar to order their beverages then continue their lounge through the attraction. 

Aside from the fun for families that the park will offer, the park is expected to be paramount to the Hattiesburg economy.  

“In addition to quality of life, obviously being a great place to bring your kids, relax and have some fun, it’s gonna be an economic driver for Hattiesburg,” said Rick Taylor, Executive Director of the Hattiesburg Convention Commission. “We’re projecting right now that it’s gonna add $12 million in spending every year.” 

The project took a little under two years to construct, and the staff has assured the public that the project has been handled with extreme care and diligence. 

“We only get one shot to open an attraction, and if you’re gonna open, you have to do it the right way,” said Demetric Kelly, Director of Guest Services and Retail. “All the small details matter.” 

Serengeti Springs is set to open for the public on Memorial Day weekend. Season pass holders will be able to visit the park on May 24. For more information on Serengeti Springs, visit their website at www.hattiesburgzoo.com/serengeti.