READ IT: The obituary of Marcus Leon Daniels Jr.

Southern Miss Athletics

Here is the obituary of Southern Miss football player Marcus Leon Daniels Jr., who was killed Tuesday night in a shooting.

Marcus Daniels Jr. Obituary

Marcus Leon Daniels, Jr.’s, mostly known as “MJ”, 21 years of age, life was taken on June 11, 2024. MJ was born December 10, 2002, in Lucedale, MS to his devoted parents Marcus Leon Daniels, Sr. and Adrian T. Jackson, the oldest of his siblings. MJ had a contagious smile that could brighten anyone’s day.  His charismatic personality was the reason there was never a dull moment in his presence. He loved football, baseball, basketball, fishing, hunting, traveling, dancing, trying to sing and spending time with his family and friends. MJ was employed with Tristate Maritime Services.

MJ was a star athlete at George County High School where he played baseball, basketball and football with football being his first love. He was Mr. George County High School in 2021. MJ was an All American, Dandy Dozen and 4-star athlete in the state of Mississippi who received multiple offers to play both baseball and football. MJ chose the University of Ole Miss to play football from 2021-2022 and decided to take his talents to the University of Southern Mississippi in 2023 to continue play of his loved sport until his tragic death. He was entering his senior year at Southern Miss with a promising future ahead of him.

MJ is preceded in death by his maternal great grandparents, JT (Gladys) Hartfield and JW (Ella Jean) Fairley; grandfather, Lucious Dortch; paternal great grandmother, Lucy Marie Moye.

Those left to cherish his memories include his devoted parents, Marcus (Monica) Daniels, Sr. and Adrian (Damon) Jackson; grandparents, John (Lynda) Fairley, Johnny (Angie) Daniels, and Janice Buckhalter; sisters, Taleah and Tenauri Daniels and India Jackson; brothers, Braden Brown, Major and Myles Daniels, and Treonte and DJ Jackson; aunts, LaKeshia Coleman, Dijon Fairley, Quantina (Ford) Daniels, and Roslyn Daniels; uncles, Willie (Detara) Bennett, Wayne (Mary) Bennet, Robert (Sheila) Daniels, Lamont Daniels, William Buckhalter and Jimi Watts; Godmother, Alice “Shan” Knight; Godfather, Mark Beard; Godsister, Jami Lawrence; and devoted second mom, Ms. Deborah Burkett; A host of cousins and friends.

The Visitation will be Saturday, June 22, 2024, from 11:00 AM until 1:00 PM at George County High School Gymnasium. The Funeral Service will begin at 1:00 PM, with Rev. Rondel Sinclair officiating.  Burial will follow in Merrill Cemetery. Pallbearers include McKinnley Jackson, Johnathan Jackson, Jeremiah Anderson, Ronnie Wortham, Jermaine Lawrence, Gavin Deters and Vee Conner. Honorary Pallbearers are Caymon Floore, Elijah Sabbatini, Jacob Gautier, GCHS Football, Baseball, and Basketball teams, USM Football team and University of Mississippi Football team.

Repast will be at the parent’s residence.

Moments Funeral Home, locally owned and operated, is honored to be in charge of arrangements.

To send flowers to the family, please visit our floral store.

READ MORE: Three charged in Southern Miss football player’s murder