T-Bones honors National Record Store Day

Becky Vu
Jacob Lagasse strolls around T-Bones Records & Cafe looking at the variety of albums on National Record Store Day Saturday afternoon, April 19.  Becky Vu/Printz
Jacob Lagasse strolls around T-Bones Records & Cafe looking at the variety of albums on National Record Store Day Saturday afternoon, April 19.
Becky Vu/Printz

On April 19, music fans celebrated National Record Store Day (NRSD) at T-Bones Records & Cafe, a time when many classic records can be found for prices that are cheaper than usual. Saturday, men and women across America took part in celebrating a bit of music history as they gathered around their local neighborhood record stores to listen and purchase their favorite music.

In the midst of a time filled with “Throwback Thursdays” and “Flashback Fridays,” National Record Store Day is the ultimate way for many to have fun and celebrate the past.

Hattiesburg resident Kyle Nicholas, an information technology major at The University of Southern Mississippi, said he admires performer Bob Dylan. “I respect him and his music more than anyone else,” Nicholas said.

According to the T-Bones website, local musicians and fans came together to commemorate the musical event. Customers stood in line early that morning for a day full of fun, snacks and performances. For many Mississippians such as Nicholas, the celebration at T-Bones was a first.

The first 50 guests who entered the store were treated to free Shipley’s donuts and beverages, however refreshments were made readily available for everyone throughout the entire event. Attendees were entertained during performances by Ralph Nix and the Catfish Gospel, Thomas Jackson, Mark Mann, Cary Hudson, Luke Winslow King and Esther Rose and The Squirms and Dax Riggs.

Also, guests who spent more than $50 received an NRSD pint glass, a limited edition T-Bones sticker, a free comic book and a limited edition T-Bones poster. Others who spent $100 or more received all of the above plus a hat, sandwich and drink of their choice and a chance to win a vinyl starter kit.

However, attendees did not just arrive for the performances and giveaways. Many came to the event just to enjoy the local music. “Music defines who I am. I am a restless soul, and it shows by my ever-changing genres,” said Haley Walley, a broadcast journalism major. “If I need a pick-me-up, I just turn to my favorite track.”

According to www.recordstoreday.com, other stores are catching onto the growing trend.

“I love seeing people get excited over old or new vinyl,” Walley said. “There’s nothing better than a cup of coffee while listening to the pop and crackle of a record spinning.”