Cheap remedies for ill college students

Cheap+remedies+for+ill+college+students+

Just like everyone else, I am a broke college student. But, unlike most people, I get sick all the time.

And no, I don’t just have chronic allergies or constantly get the common cold. In my time at USM I’ve had surgery four times, mono three times, the flu quite a few times, strep, a cold and the list goes on.

So I think that I’m qualified enough to give you some tips on how to stay well, or treat your sickness, the cheapest way possible.

First, go generic or go home.

I am a fan of all generic medicine. I take the Equate brand for everything. It’s found at Walmart, which is already the cheapest place to shop other than Dollar General.

DayQuil and NyQuil are probably the greatest medicine when you have any cold or flu symptoms. I take it religiously when I feel bad.

However, if you get the Vick’s brand it’s going to cost you around $15. I’m definitely not a fan of that. If you get the CVS Brand, it’s a little cheaper at $10 but I recommend you get the Equate brand. For 32 daytime tablets and 16 night time tablets, it’s only $8. You win, Walmart.

Second, Sprite/Gatorade and crackers are my go-to sick snack.

I’ve had more than my fair share of stomach viruses and other stomach-related issues. What I’ve come to realize is it’s probably good not to eat for at least a day when you’re having these issues.

I’m not advocating you starve yourself, but your body needs time to rest and rejuvenate. When you do feel like starting to eat again, it’s important not to over do it.

Just because you haven’t thrown up in five hours doesn’t mean you need to get a steak or Bloomin’ Onion from Outback.

Sprite (or Gatorade if you prefer no carbonation) and crackers are your best bet. The crackers not only help soak up acid, but they are full of carbohydrates so they
fill you up.

Eventually I’ll move up to ramen when I’m feeling better, and then I’ll start eating normally again.

Sprite has always settled my stomach, but lately I’ve been drinking light blue Gatorade when I have tummy aches and it does the same. So whichever you prefer, this
method truly works.

Third, warm showers or baths are a one-way ticket to feeling normal again.

No matter what kind of sick you are – stomach flu or a sporadic fever – taking a warm shower or bath is sure to help you feel better.

Not only can the temperature of the water help balance your body temperature when you have a fever, but also it can help ease your stomach when it’s upset. They also help ease your muscles that might have been tightened due to chills or throwing up.

Also, you can always find some cool things in your own kitchen that would help soothe a sore throat or upset stomach, such as herbal tea with honey and lemon or certain spices, like ginger and mint.

Some different ways you can prevent sickness altogether would be taking a multivitamin every day and changing up your diet to eating more fibrous, clean foods versus fried, greasy foods.

Also staying hydrated, getting a little bit of exercise and getting enough rest will help too.

Pinterest has a lot of cool, natural and cheap ways to remedy different illnesses as well, so check those out to see a lot more than what this article has to say.

I hope these help you next time you’re sick. If you have any cool, cheap sick remedies, I’d love to hear about them. Email me your ideas at [email protected].