USM Beats Alcorn State

USM beats Alcorn State 26-20. USM wins at home for the first time since 2011 when the Golden Eagles beat Memphis 44-7.

Nick Mullens finished 21-33 with 208 yards and 0 interceptions and Two touchdowns. Mullens looked real comfortable running an up tempo hurry up offense, he also had four rushes for 45 yards.

Southern Miss was determined to establish the run Saturday night. True Freshman Ito Smith had 32 rushes for 118 yards. Smith is the first true freshman to run for over 100 yards in a game since Kendrick Hardy did it in 2010 against Houston.

Slot receiver Casey Martin led the team in receiving with seven catches and 56 yards. Martin had the biggest play of the night, at the end of the first quarter on a 32 yard catch up the left sideline.

Wide Outs Marquise Ricard and James Cox were the only Golden eagles to find the end zone receiving perfect passes from Mullens. The offense busted out a new hurry up offense that had the Alcorn State Braves’ defense gased and needing frequent substitutions.

On defense safety Jacorius Cotton lead the team with the eight tackles. Cornerback Kalan Reed had another interception this week, making it two weeks in a row he picks off the opposing quarterback.

Field goal kicker Corey Acosta came in clutch for the Golden Eagles connecting on four out of five field goals for the night. Acosta hit field goals from 50, 39, 23 and 41 yards out.

Southern Miss forced four turnovers and protected the ball perfectly, not giving the ball away once all night. Southern Miss took advantage of the extra opportunities scoring 13 points off of the Braves’ turnovers.

Southern Miss showed improvements in every aspect of the game tonight and will have to continue to improve in order to challenge the number two team in the country next week when they travel to Tuscaloosa, AL to take on Alabama.