DuBard School hosts annual fundraiser

The DuBard School for Language Disorders will host the DuBard School Speakeasy from 7 p.m. until 10 p.m. Thursday in the Trent Lott Center.

Established in the 1920s during the Prohibition Era, speakeasies were underground clubs that required a password in order to hide from police. According to the Dubard School’s website, the school successfully hosted a gala in 2012 and decided to continue the event as an annual evening soirée.

Many wonder why the department has chosen to hold a speakeasy for the event.  “It’s unique and different. It’s a fun play on words, and to say in the simplest terms, we are helping children speak easy,” said Catherine Lott, communications coordinator at the Dubard School for Language Disorders. 

Lott said tickets may be purchased online only.  Recipients will receive an email including the location and a password that will get them into the speakeasy.  Guests will remain in a holding area once inside to assure that there are not any “unwanted guests,” or in other words, police. 

Once all rules are covered and the coast is clear, the ballroom will be available to guests to enjoy cocktails, or “giggle juices,” along with nonalcoholic beverages.  Hors d’oeuvres inspired by the  era will be served along with upbeat jazz music. A photo booth will also be available, so feel free to come dressed in
1920s themed attire.

The Dubard School is working with the Southern Miss jazz band and dance department, who will perform the  Charleston and similar dances.

“Our goal is to make this as themed as possible,” Lott said. “There are a lot of events going on in the fall. At the same time, there are a lot of evening gala’s. We wanted something that we could introduce to the Dubard School.  No one is doing a 1920’s themed event in town,” Lott.