Women’s golf places 15th at Bearcat Classic

Sophomore Emily Ross at a Lady Paladin Invitational during the month of September. Courtesy Photo
Sophomore Emily Ross at a Lady Paladin Invitational during the month of September. | Courtesy Photo

In Maineville, Ohio, the Southern Miss women’s golf team finished 15th in the Bearcat Classic, hosted by the University of Cincinnati.

The tournament was played at the par-72, TPC River’s Bend. The Lady Eagles shot a combined 328 to finish 40-over par for the tournament. Southern Miss placed only ahead of the Cincinnati B-Team.

Due to heavy rainfall, the final round of the two-day tournament was cancelled after 13 holes. Thus, the final results reflect solely the first round of action.

Sophomore Devin Spriddle shot a 76, the best score for the Lady Eagles after the first round and after play was cancelled because of the rain, she remained as the team leader tied for 12th place overall.

Senior Jennifer Nguyen finished in 47th place, recording nine-over par. Freshman Belen Abrile shot an 84 and tied at 69th place for the tournament. Sophomore Emily Ross shot 15-over par, finishing in 78th place and freshman Nicola Callander shot a 91 to finish in 91st place for the tournament.

Because of the rain and after officials made the decision to use the first round results, Cincinnati won the tournament, shooting a team score of 307 at 19-over par. Morehead State came in second-place, one shot below the Bearcats. Eastern Kentucky rounded out the top three, shooting a 21-over par 309.

Southern Miss is going to have to do a much better job of converting their putt attempts if they hope to have a chance in the Conference USA Championships in April.

The Lady Eagles return to action on Oct. 20 to participate in the Old Waverly Bulldog Invitational. The two-day event will take place in West Point, Mississippi.