Bennett leads student convocation series

Sophomores Karen Bach and Molly Millican enjoy Dr. Bennett’s speech during the sophomore convocation Friday, Aug. 21, 2013 in front of Bennett Auditorium.  Melanie Boyd/Printz
Sophomores Karen Bach and Molly Millican enjoy Dr. Bennett’s speech during the sophomore convocation Friday, Aug. 21, 2013 in front of Bennett Auditorium.
Melanie Boyd/Printz

University President Rodney Bennett will be conducting a series of fall convocations to prepare new and current students for the school year.

The convocations focus on giving students the essential tools to become successful, future graduates of Southern Miss.

President Bennett will speak at four convocations with each message containing important elements that students should know as freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors.

“Essentially, the student convocations are geared and broken down towards meeting each class of students where they are,” Bennett said. “The needs of a freshman student are different from the needs of a graduating senior student.”

The freshman student convocation, which was held during Golden Eagle Welcome Week at Reed Green Coliseum, was tailored to welcome students to the university and to encourage them to be best students they can be.

Held in front of the Aubrey K. Lucas Administration Building, the sophomore student convocation helped students become aware of important aspects that will allow them to be successful students this year.

“Getting involved in student organizations, going to class, networking with faculty and reaching out to campus resources are features for sophomore students to be successful,” Bennett said.

Michaela Harper, a sophomore child development major, said she appreciated Bennett’s words of wisdom during the sophomore convocation.

“I walked away with the fire to lead by example and leaving a legacy for those to follow, “ Harper said. “Get done today what is necessary and you will be prepared for tomorrow.”

With two student convocations left, many junior and senior students are eager to hear President Bennett’s messages. The junior convocation will discuss the importance of internship opportunities, interviews and creating stronger relationships with faculty on campus.

The senior convocation will focus on what it takes to graduate from Southern Miss and carry a sense of service into the real world.

“Rounding up the last turn, coming down the home stretch and finishing strong are the major goals for the junior and senior convocations, “ said President Bennett.

The student convocations encourage students to be successful and to work hard.

“Without students, Southern Miss is nothing,” said Ann Marie Chilcutt, senior communications major and SGA president. “We have to apply our motto to our everyday life.”

The junior student convocation is scheduled for Sept. 12 at 6 p.m. in the Touchdown Club of M.M. Roberts Stadium. The senior student convocation is scheduled for Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. in the Thad Cochran Center Ballrooms.