Holiday Choral Spectacular to spread cheer and service to locals

On Tuesday and Thursday of this week, The University of Southern Mississippi Symphony Orchestra will present the yearly Holiday Choral Spectacular at 7:30 p.m. at Main Street Baptist Church.

According to the event web page, this concert includes all Southern Miss choirs, such as Southern Chorale, Concert Choir, The Southern Belletones, the Spirit of Southern, the men and women’s concert choirs and local choral groups from the Hattiesburg area.

Peter Lake, a graduate student studying vocal performance, expressed his excitement for the concert and said he believes the community will treasure the performance of many classics and some new pieces.

“It is going to be an eclectic event full of classic and modern Christmas standards that the entire family can enjoy,” he said. “I am partial to the ‘Hallelujah’ chorus, but I also enjoy our medley of carols arranged by James Mulholland.”

Caitlin Nash, a sophomore business major, is also a member of the concert choir. She listed the musical pieces being performed, with a range from the Latin Christmas carol “Personet Hodie” to a melody of popular carols. She also mentioned the Mulholland piece, for which the composer himself will be in attendance.

“This concert is kind of special because this is the first time ‘Come Thou Long Expected Jesus’ (will be performed) with an orchestra,” she said. “James Mulholland himself will actually be in attendance.”

General admission tickets are $18 for adults and $10 for youth.

According to an article by Southern Miss Now, part of these proceeds will benefit The Children’s Center for Communication and Development at Southern Miss. The Center is an agency of United Way and acts as an early intervention program for developmentally delayed children up to age five. The center currently provides service to over 70 children and their families from across Mississippi and trains Southern Miss students in sciences related to the health disciplines.

Tickets for the concert may be purchased in advance at the Southern Miss Ticket Office at 601-266-5222, by visiting the Pat Ferlise Center on campus, or by visiting www.southernmisstickets.com.

Tickets will be available at the door, but attendees are urged to get their tickets before the event as the concert may sell out.

“It’s absolutely worth making it out to see the concert,” Nash said. “The pieces chosen are beautiful and the choirs have all done a wonderful job of preparing them.”