Tensions Brew in House of Cards Opener

Alan Rawls – Managing Editor

Unlike the last two seasons, I plan on savoring each season three episode of “House of Cards” by watching one episode at a time. That being said, I really wanted to watch four or five more after that first episode, because I’m wondering what in the world this season will be like.

The first two were great — a cutthroat politician, willing to do anything to get to the top, ascended to the presidency. So what’s the Underwood presidency going to look like?

Some things were expected, and some things weren’t. I wasn’t at all surprised at Frank’s unorthodox visit to his father’s grave, and Netflix didn’t catch me off guard by showing how rocky of a start Frank had in the White House.

But I had kind of hoped the character Doug Stamper would just die off so that we didn’t have to put up with his weirdness, but lo and behold, the first episode focused mostly on him. I want to see Frank dominate Washington, but this “Chapter 27” briefly showed a glimpse into his struggles within the first six months of his term.

I appreciate the realism of it though. Clearly Frank and Claire have a marriage based on political agreement — Frank’s go-getter politics would propel Claire into a political career — and now we begin to see what Claire really wants to do.

Finally, I can’t wait to see how Frank’s jobs program goes. What was one of the surprising things I saw in “Chapter 27?” President Underwood’s goal of cutting any and all entitlement programs did the trick.

All in all, I’m satisfied (temporarily) but I’d be more content if Stamper would get it together.

Yolanda Cruz – Copy Editor

The phrase “a house divided” takes a deeper meaning when the house in question is the White House. As I began watching the newly released season this weekend, this was the best way I could sum up what is going on with the First family.

As always, this season does not disappoint. It opens with Frank Underwood’s approval rating as president being shockingly low while trying to propose a jobs bill to Congress and dealing with the possibility of re-election. Even Claire seems to be losing faith in her husband as she is constantly put to the side to get Frank’s goals achieved.

I began to wonder if he would really make it out of the situation triumphant. Though, when you consider the fact that the show is a loose adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Richard III,” one could probably guess Underwood’s fate already.

One of my favorite parts of the new season is how the audience gets to know more about Doug Stamper. He was just Underwood’s go-to guy, but the opening of season three is the first time I’ve really felt he was human.

Seeing him in his vulnerable state during his recovery made me empathize with him more, and I want to follow him as he tries to find his place again. A man who has put his whole life into his work doesn’t know what to do with himself with everyone urging him to rest, and his story takes a much interesting turn in this season.

I don’t want to give away any spoilers for anyone who was actually productive during the weekend, but make sure to give it a watch. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys politics, drama and scandal.

Nikki Smith – News Editor

The long-awaited third season of “House of Cards” caught me off guard. Frank Underwood left me in awe after his elaborate and twisted rise to the presidency at the end of season two.

Frank Underwood is one of those characters I love to hate. He is repulsive and terrible, yet I want everything to go his way anyway. I catch myself cheering him on as he lies and cheats his way to power.

After only watching the first episode, I can say I’m pleased to see that Doug Stamper is still alive, even if he is kind of a creep. God help Rachel if he ever finds her. I imagine he will kill himself over the course of this season just trying to get his old job back.

I have suspected a power struggle between Claire and Frank Underwood since the very beginning. As they both have worked to further his political career, I have been waiting for her to resent his tactics.

I could see a bit of this brewing last season, but their fight over her nomination for ambassador proved my suspicion. She echoed my exact feelings when she said, “I’ve been in the passenger seat far too long. It’s time for me to take the wheel.”

As Frank Underwood said at the end of season two, “The road to power is paved with casualties. Never regret.” I can’t help but wonder if one of these will be his marriage.