Southern Miss Media, Keg to Host Movie Night

On Saturday, April 11, the student media organizations of The University of Southern Mississippi will host a double feature movie night at the Keg and Barrel.

The groups involved include advertising firm The Agency at Southern Miss, record label South City Records, The Student Printz, student radio station WUSM, recording engineer society Golden Eagle Sound and Production and video production company The Crew.

According to the Facebook event page, the media center will screen the comedy “High Fidelity” and documentary “Muscle Shoals.”

“High Fidelity,” according to IMDb, features John Cusack as a record store owner, who is hopeless with women. After a breakup with his girlfriend, he looks to the past to see where he kept going wrong in relationships. It was nominated for a Golden Globe, BAFTA and AFI Award in 2001.

“Muscle Shoals” is a 2013 documentary film about the famous FAME Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio based in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. It celebrates founder Rick Hall and his work on classic songs such as “When a Man Loves a Woman,” “I’ll Take You There” and “Brown Sugar.”

Melanie Hall, a senior accounting major, said she plans to attend the event.

I’m really looking forward to getting to know a little bit more about the recording industry,” Hall said. “I think the Keg is a really great place to host something like (a movie night), and I think it will be really fun to see all these organizations working together for one event.”

J’Marcus Bell, a junior media production major and vice president of fundraising for The Crew, said he thinks the media organizations banding together was beneficial.

I think it is important for organizations to come together because there are some unique ideas that can come from the different organizations,” he said. “Organizations will benefit from collaborations because they are seen by more than just their demographic.”

The event will begin at 7:30 p.m. Advance tickets are $7, while tickets sold on the day of the event will be $10. Tickets can be ordered through a link on southernmissradio.com.