Golden Eagles Struggle; Fernandez Shines in Tournament

The Southern Miss golf team placed fourteenth out of fifteen at the Old Waverly Collegiate Championship hosted by Mississippi State. The tournament was held April 7-8 in West Point, Mississippi.

Teams such as Mississippi State, Cincinnati, Southeastern Louisiana, Wichita State and Ole Miss were participants in the tournament. The Golden Eagles shot a 17-over par for the two-day tournament for a total of 881.

For the rounds, Southern Miss shot 305, 291, 285 on the days. The shot of 305 was the highest in the first round out of all teams.

Casey Fernandez, Ryan Argotsinger, Drew Kirby, Hayes Weathersby, Kevin Jorden, Tyler Peggs and Vasili Kartos participated in the tournament for Southern Miss.

Casey Fernandez finished in first place for the tournament as an individual with an 11-under par 205. Fernandez won Medalist for the best individual player in the tournament.

Southern Miss finished in the bottom five in categories including Par three’s, Par five’s and total pars. Southern Miss finished at the bottom of total pars with 158 over the course of the tournament.

Southern Miss finished the tournament with 40 birdies and one eagle.

The Golden Eagle Golf team will continue its spring season when it participates in the Conference USA Tournament on April 26.