Golf Tournament to Benefit WUSM

Southern Miss Radio, WUSM-FM 88.5, will host its fifth annual golf tournament called A Round for Roots Radio, on April 27 at Canebrake Country Club in Hattiesburg. Robert St. John will be chairing the tournament for the second time since its initiation.

The Round for Roots Radio is the largest fundraiser WUSM holds annually, making it the main source of funding for the station.

The tournament will raise enough money to enable WUSM to remain in operation, update its equipment and continue providing valued experience to students interested in pursuing a career in the radio industry.

The event will begin at 11:30 a.m. with registration and lunch boxes provided by Tabella Italian Restaurant, followed by a shotgun start at 1 p.m. A crawfish boil sponsored by Forrest General Hospital and Triangle Seafood will be hosted at the end of play.

The tournament is a four-person scramble and accepts all skill levels. Tournament registration is $100 per person and accepts four man teams, duos and individuals. Registration includes greens fees, a golf car, range balls, lunch, crawfish boil, beverage service and a gift bag.

We’ve done this tournament before, and everyone that has been associated from the past as a player or sponsor has had a blast,” said Wilbur Martin, general manager at WUSM.

The money coming in from players and sponsors is really necessary for us to provide the equipment for the radio program and the experience students would need to go into the commercial world.”

The 2015 Round for Roots Radio golf tournament is sponsored by American Graphics Custom Screen Printing and Embroidery, the Forrest County Board of Supervisors, South Mississippi Electric Power Association, Southern Beverage of Hattiesburg, Coca-Cola of Hattiesburg and Fine Wine & Liquor Loft.

Southern Miss Radio, WUSM, broadcasts directly from the Hattiesburg campus of USM. It is the Pine Belt’s only community radio station and provides college students hands-on experience within the radio industry. Southern Miss Radio offers listeners an alternative experience from traditional commercial radio by broadcasting unique artists from all over the world. WUSM is a part of USM’s School of Mass Communication and Journalism.

To register for A Round for Roots Radio, visit southernmissradio.com.