Lack of offense dooms Southern Miss in weekend pair

Hunt Mercier
Southern Miss forward Becky McMullan (22) kicks the ball against South Alabama on Sunday in Hattiesburg September 20, 2015.

Southern Miss went into the weekend looking to make a statement. With a one-goal loss against Alabama and a tie with MSU, the Golden Eagles traveled to play the UL-Monroe Warhawks in Monroe, Louisiana, on Friday night, but lost a defensive struggle 1-0.

Southern Miss was unable to rebound from an early goal scored by ULM’s Danielle Sabbath on across into the box. Golden Eagle goalkeeper Brittany Taylor played hellacious defense, halting eight balls from scoring.

The defense was phenomenal for Southern Miss, but the offense just could not keep pace.

The Lady Eagles stayed aggressive as Mary Kate Smith took three shots on goal, but unfortunately none went in. Freshman Kirstin Bradley held her own on the night, shooting five goals herself.

With the loss behind them, the Lady Eagles traveled back home for the first time in over two weeks. Southern Miss played host to the South Alabama Jaguars, losing 4-0 in their effort.

The South Alabama Jaguars took the game from the start, scoring in the first three minutes of the contest. The shot from USA’s Ashlynn Jones was taken from the front of the box, landing in the left corner of the goal. That early statement started the rout for the Jaguars.

The Jaguars did not score again until the end of the first half. Ashlynn Jones again got a chance to put her mark on the game with a penalty kick. Setting up across from Taylor, Jones drilled the shot, creating a 2-0 deficit for the Golden Eagles to climb out of.

Jones again came alive for the Jaguars in the 61st minute, scoring her fifth goal of the season. The score was 3-0, pinning the Golden Eagles against the wall. Just two minutes later, the grave was dug for the Golden Eagles when the Jaguars scored again.

In the game, Southern Miss only got off six shots. South Alabama had a whopping 21 shots in the game. The aggressive play that they held against UL-Monroe did not hold true in this game. Southern Miss will begin its conference schedule when it travels to Murfreesboro, Tennessee, to take on Middle Tennessee State Friday, Sept. 25. The Golden Eagles (2-3-4) were downed in both of their games over the weekend, traveling to ULM and playing host to South Alabama