Golden Eagles Show Resilience Despite 2-0 Loss to No. 12 Alabama Crimson Tide

Sean Smith

The Golden Eagles hosted the No. 12 Alabama Crimson Tide on Thursday and lost 2-0.

In the first half, Alabama started with a robust, intense defense that kept the Golden Eagles from scoring. The Crimson Tide jumped out in front 1-0 with a goal by defender Marianna Annest, and at 21:51, forward Gianna Paul scored, boosting Alabama to a 2-0 lead, which they took into halftime.

In the second half, both teams were going back and forth. Southern Miss had great looks but did not connect to score. The Golden Eagles’ defense made the second period much more challenging for the Crimson Tide to score.
Alex Helbling had a total of two saves in this game.

“Goalkeeper Alex is a leader for us. She is a keep part of our program. In the second half, she rallies us by keeping us in the game. Also in half time, she steps us a leader and adversity. So, she brushes it off and moved on,” El-Zare said.

The Golden Eagles pushed to score in the second half. Alabama’s defense seized to take control of the game. The Crimson Tide had eight shot attempts in contrast to the Golden Eagles’ two.

“We have a lot of different options. We are playing against a team that won the SEC Conference and made it to the college Final Four last year. We are in the experience season, and I thought we asked a question and we got behind. We got closer to their goal and sat back to create opportunities for us,”  El-Zare said.

This was a fast-paced game for the Golden Eagles, but nothing stopped them from the challenge.

“We like playing those fast-paced games, it helps us get better, and ready for our season,” El-Zare said

.
“I am really pleased with how we have come as a team. We will continue to grow as a team. This was the best performance at Southern Miss,” El-Zare said.

El-Zare had some players stepping up this game despite the loss. Forward Ishpreen Marwa, which was her first start. Midfielder Chloe Taylor and many others. Midfielder Hinano Nakagawa has some big minutes as well.

The Golden Eagles are eager to get better from Thursday’s loss and prepare for the upcoming game.

“We already left this game behind us and looking forward to Sunday’s game against Nicholls. We are really excited by winning our individual battles in the second half and really playing positive soccer. We would’ve liked creating more chances, but we already moved on and ready to go,” El-Zare said.

The next game will be at home, Sunday at 1 p.m. vs. Nicholls State at the Southern Miss Soccer Complex.