Trevor Noah nails role as Daily Show host

There is no need to worry about the future of “The Daily Show” if it is in the hands of comedic genius, Trevor Noah.

For those of you who have never seen Trevor Noah’s stand-up, it is phenomenal. No doubt one of requirements for hosting “The Daily Show” is to be not just funny, but absolutely hilarious.

Jon Stewart, the retired long- time host of “The Daily Show,” set the standard for Noah’s entrance. It was through his wit that he developed an ability to give us courage as he delivered even the darkest of stories.

Noah exemplified his ability to fill Stewart’s shoes this week.

His first week on the job, a shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon left 10 dead on Oct. 1.

Noah responded honestly, saying he couldn’t provide an appropriate comment because he didn’t know enough about the situation.

It’s this kind of honesty and self- awareness that helped make Jon Stewart one of the most lovable characters on television and will certainly lead to Noah being beloved as well.

As far as the overall show goes, nothing really changed much other than the host. It still had the same formula: an opening segment with the host reporting and then joking about the news, typically leading into a correspondent segment and finally dissolving into the guest interview.

During the interview portion, I noticed Noah experienced a bit of nerves.

You really only have one chance to make a good first impression in anything. For a job that carries such prestige in the comedy world as being host of the Daily Show, it’s easily understandable for Noah to act this way.

Noah brings an outsider’s perspective, being from South Africa, that sets him apart from Stewart. Noah makes a point about not being American and being new to life in America.

For instance, Noah jokingly asked why we allow our baby lions to go to the bathroom in sandboxes in the house. Obviously he is referring to our house cats, but because he is from Africa, it makes the joke funny.

His style of comedy focuses on political satire, just like Jon Stewart had done for decades. However, the American political climate and African political climate are entirely different.

During his stand-up special “It’s My Culture,” he mentions his time in Zambia, where it is illegal to be gay. Anyone found to be gay will be sentenced to 30 years in prison.

The first joke from this set admitted it was a weird punishment if you thought about it.

Funnier was Noah’s following story about escalators. Escalators are apparently a rarity in Zambia.

When the special aired in 2013, Zambia only had five escalators in the whole country, and people would go to the mall for the sole purpose of riding the escalators.

Noah will certainly continue to use examples from his South African upbringing in the show to provide a different kind of humor— not your homegrown American comedy we are so familiar with, but something fresh. There is enough talent I see from Noah that I am not worried about his future as host.