Yeah, Usher electrified the Super Bowl

Dave Adamson on Unsplash.com

When I first heard that Usher was going to be performing at Super Bowl LVIII, I was a little shocked. Maybe it was just me, but I thought that a halftime performance by Usher might have been much more popular in the late 2000s, when he was arguably much more popular. It’s nothing against Usher, but I was sure that there were other performers who might be asked to perform at the Super Bowl.

But when it was finally time for the Apple Music Halftime Show after a disappointing first half from the Chiefs (yes, I’m a Chieftie), I was absolutely electrified. One thing Usher can do is command a crowd, and that’s exactly what he walked out there and did.

Usher walked out on that field and delivered hit after hit, and welcomed some unexpected guests. Alicia Keys made a stunning appearance at the piano in a fiery red jumpsuit, and the pair ended up singing “My Boo” together, which was absolutely iconic. Atlanta producer Jermaine Dupri made an appearance, shifting this halftime performance to a halftime party. Usher even delivered a spicy performance, which might not have been suitable for all audiences watching, but was still entertaining. But one of the most fun parts of the performance were the roller-skaters gliding by, which was unexpected and quite meme-worthy.

And then came the real electricity. If there’s one musician that’s always going to catch my attention, it’s H.E.R. Her skill as a guitarist is unmatched in this generation, and I have no problem saying that. The moment she stepped on stage cemented this performance in the Super Bowl history books. Will.i.am also made an appearance, which shot me back to the late 2000s, when I would bump the Black-Eyed Peas on my iPod Shuffle. Ludacris also delivered some bawdy lyrics, remarkably.

But ‘90s and ‘00s kids undoubtedly rose from the ashes once they heard Lil Jon’s iconic and inescapable “YEAH!” The crowd went wild, and so did I from the comfort of my living room. As always, when I hear the “peace up, A-town,” I truly turn up. Lil Jon even performed the 2013 classic, “Turn Down For What.” The crowd was jumping, and so was I. This halftime performance fed the souls of those still yearning for the vibes of the Y2K.

While these guest performers were delivering some unforgettable performances and cameos that would put even the Marvel Cinematic Universe to shame, we can’t forget Usher’s stellar performance. It was everything, especially to the Millennials and Gen-Z.

I’ve grown tired of writing about lackluster awards shows and performances, but Super Bowl LVIII was the exact opposite of that. From the game (obviously), the celebrity appearances, the commercials, the surprising Nickelodeon coverage, and especially Usher’s halftime performance. This is definitely going down as one of the best. Thanks, Usher.