Students excited for Joe Paul’s return to USM

The University of Southern Mississippi welcomed Joe Paul back to the university. With his  new position in external affairs, he will work with USM Foundation and Southern Miss Alumni Association, among others.

Paul resigned from his position as vice president of student affairs this past summer. His previous position allowed him to have direct interaction with students. Many students were glad to see him return.

“Dr. Joseph Paul is a shining example of the Southern Spirit,” SGA Vice President Kyle Stoner said. “Through his service to the university as a student, his various administrative roles, and now his role within the foundation, he exemplifies what it means to be true to the black and gold.”

Paul worked for the university for 39 years before he resigned earlier this year.  His time at the university began when he was a student. After graduating, his job became to help students adjust to life at USM.

He helped senior Allysa Cole in many of her endeavors since she became a student at the university.

“He has personally assisted me in scholarship efforts to study abroad and personally welcomed me when I arrived here from Michigan,” Cole said.

Through his time at the university, Paul made it his duty to encourage students to make the most of their time at the university. He always told students to “leave Southern Miss better than (they) found it.”

SGA President Jeffrey George believes Paul will do more of the same in his new position.

“I couldn’t be more excited to have Dr. Joe Paul back on campus and continuing to serve the university,” George said. “His dedication and commitment to the Southern Miss family shows his love for our noble institution and he is a huge asset as we continue working to advance the university.”

Paul’s return afforded him the chance to help to the university in a different way. His previous deeds included creating the Lucky Day Scholar’s program, the Village as well as Century Park North and South. His new position will require him to reach out for connections associated to USM and bring funds to the university. Students expressed excitement to see how Paul’s prior experience will help him excel in this way.

“Throughout his career Dr. Paul has invested so much time and energy into helping students and now he will be continuing to do that as he helps raise money for scholarships for students,” George said.

Students experienced great benefits from Paul in as the vice president and expect to see his great work continued.