USM Survey necessary to conduct future changes for advisement.

The Arts and Letters Ambassadors and the Office of the Provost issued a survey Jan. 18. Data collected between then and Feb. 5 will be used by a university council in an attempt to affect positive changes for the advisement program. The survey covers advisement history and asks students to identify the best and worst aspects of advisement and critique their advisorys. The two groups hope to continue the working toward bettering the student advisement experience.

“The questions are about how students prepare for advising, what happens during advising appointments, their satisfaction with advising over time, and what kinds of advice or mentoring they want from advisors,” said Amy C. Miller, dean of the College of Arts and Letters. “We also ask them to share the names of advisors who have been particularly helpful to them as students.”

The Office of the Provost worked with each of the university’s five academic colleges in 2015 to prepare this survey. After surveying nearly a dozen students, the Office received approval from the Institutional Review Board to open the survey to all registered USM students.

The survey is anonymous and take roughly 10 minutes to complete. Students who complete the survey and provide contact information will be entered to win an iPad courtesy of Career Services.