New Wi-Fi expands students’ Internet access

The University of Southern Mississippi revamped its wireless services by switching to a new Wi-Fi network. The new network, Eduroam, provides the same features and is similar to the former network. It is available now for all faculty, staff and students.

Eduroam is short for “education roaming” and is part of a global Wi-Fi network that began in Europe. Keith Hill, director of operation and infrastructure for iTech, said Eduroam offers many benefits to students, faculty and staff.

“Eduroam is a group all over the world,” Hill said. “It allows you to use your same credentials (to access the Internet) when you visit another campus like (Mississippi State University, Louisiana State University) or in Europe.”

Many surrounding universities are among Eduroam users, including The University of Mississippi, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, Tulane and many more. The Eduroam website presents a map of universities that are part of the program.

Using Eduroam at USM provides full USM network access. However, when browsing Eduroam at another university, users only have minimal Internet access. This is the same for visiting students using Eduroam at USM.

“We’ve had people (from visiting universities) connect to our network,” Hill said. “It gives you the same access if you use the USM network. Visitors can only use Internet and not access internal USM information. Whenever you go to one of those visiting sites, you can only use their website.”

The new network will benefit USM students studying abroad by providing Internet access while they travel if there is a university that uses Eduroam.

The former USM network is still available for use. However, it and other networks will cease by the end of the spring semester. This will include USM, USM Help and USM Guest Access.

The two networks available will be Eduroam and USM Public. An email sent to students gave information on how to best handle the new network.

“The EagleAir Network will remain active however hidden from discovery and is intended for those devices which cannot authenticate to Eduroam,” said an email sent out to USM students and staff. “Please make the switch to Eduroam at your earliest convenience. If you need assistance, go to the iTech website, or call the Help Desk at 601-266-4357.”

Eduroam provides USM users with Internet access all over the world.