Breaking Bad goes out on top

Sundays will never be the same now that “Breaking Bad” ended.  The critically-acclaimed series ended Sunday, and I’m already going through stages of withdrawal.  According to an article on theverge.com, 10.3 million people tuned in for the series finale.  I don’t  know how viewers felt, but the night was definitely rough for me.  I may or may not have cried my eyes out when the credits started rolling, but in my mind, the tears are justified.

From episode one to 64, there was never a dull moment throughout the series.

The story of Walter White was almost impossible to believe.

White, a high school chemistry teacher, was diagnosed with lung cancer with few years to live.  He could die peacefully, leaving his family without any money or he could ‘break bad.’ He chose to team up with one of his former students, Jesse Pinkman, and start cooking crystal meth.  In the beginning, Walt’s goal was to leave his family close to $1 million, but as his empire grew, the goals changed.  He lied, stole and murdered to eventually become one of the biggest drug kingpins in the country, nicknamed Heisenberg.

Once his cancer went into remission, he had the option to leave the business as a multimillionaire, but the power was too sweet to give up.  This decision came back to haunt him, as his empire eventually crashed under the weight of his crimes.

The ending leaves a big predicament for my Sunday nights.  What am I supposed to watch now that can fill the void?  Sure shows like “Boardwalk Empire,” “Homeland” and “Sons of Anarchy” are in midseason, but none of them match the addiction of “Breaking Bad.”  In my mind, “Breaking Bad” will go down as one of the greatest television series of all time.  According to imdb.com, it’s the second highest-rated show of all time behind “Planet Earth.”  I would put it on the same level as shows like “The Wire” and “The Sopranos.”

Some said that “Breaking Bad” ended too early, and I completely disagree.  Time and time again, television shows are stretched out for too long thus decreasing the legitimacy of the story.  “Breaking Bad” ended at the perfect time and went out on top.  I would definitely recommend the show to anyone with a Netflix account.  According to an article on wearemoviegeeks.com, the complete box set will be on shelves Nov. 26.