Southern Miss splits series with Ole Miss

Southern Miss would look to bounce back off of a 2-2 performance in The Mardi Gras Invitational with a double header against in-state rival Ole Miss. Southern Miss would split the series 1-1, giving the Lady Eagles their first win in three years against Ole Miss.

In game one, both teams failed to score in the first five innings. The Lady Eagles would manage to score the first points in the bottom of the sixth inning.

Rachel Johnson got it started for Southern Miss with a walk, 3-2 count and Ole Miss would see two runners in scoring position.

Katie Clearly would cap off the inning for the Lady Eagles as her single turned into the game winning RBI to right field. Arielle Pollock advanced to second base and Sydney Pollock would put the second points on the board for the Lady Eagles.

Ole Miss would have no answer for Southern Miss as they managed to score once in the inning, but not enough to take the first game.

Southern Miss’ productive inning would prove to be enough as they took game one, 2-1.

In game two, the tables would turn for the Lady Eagles. Ole Miss would score two quick points in the first inning.

Elantra Cox, Natalie Martinez, Ashton Lampton and Sarah Van Schaik would rack in hits that allowed Ole Miss to gain scoring position.

Pitching would play a major role in game two as Southern Miss allowed 12 hits in four innings alone as compared to the five in the first complete game.

Julian Johnson for Southern Miss was pulled in the fourth inning after allowing Ole Miss to score multiple times in each inning prior to the fourth.

Ole Miss’ outstanding hitting in the second game proved to be too much for the Lady Eagles as they took game two, 10-1 in five innings. The Lady Eagles split the series 1-1, putting their record at 7-6 and 3-1 at home.

Southern Miss travels to Gulfport, MS, for the Mississippi Gulf Coast Softball Classic, Friday through Sunday in hopes to record five wins.