Southern Miss softball earns historic home sweep

Southern Miss Athletics

Southern Miss softball earned its first home conference series sweep in the Sun Belt ever, closing out Georgia State with a 4-1 victory on Sunday in the series finale.

The sweep was the program’s first series sweep at home since the 2019 season. Over all three of the games, the Golden Eagles only allowed one run for the Panthers.

Southern Miss pitcher and designated player Jana Lee threw her second complete game of the series, allowing just eight hits, three walks, and one earned run.

With her showing, Lee won her second win of the weekend and eighth on the year which is a team high.

The Panthers loaded the bases in the second inning. And Lee was able to escape the jam to keep the game scoreless. The Golden Eagles seized on the momentum in the third inning when Shelby Allen started the inning with a double.

Hannah Borden then blasted her 13th home run of the season, putting the Golden Eagles in front 2-0.

But the Panthers weren’t going away.

They put two runners on base with a couple of singles and Payton Nicholson scored Georgia State’s first and only run of the series with a sac-fly RBI to make the score 2-1.

Lee ended the threat with a strikeout to keep Southern Miss in front.

With the Golden Eagles desperately needing momentum they could not put together any momentum after putting some runners on base in the fourth.

But eventually, Lindsey delivered her second home run of the season with a second two-run shot in the fifth to give the team a 4-1 lead which was the final margin.

Southern Miss softball improved to 20-20, 8-7 in conference play after the victory.