USM records solid results at Tiger Track Classic

The Golden Eagles track and field team traveled to Auburn over the weekend to compete in the Tiger Track Classic. The women’s team had nine top 10 finishes, while the men’s team had six finish in the top 10.

Freshman Kadaria Thompson finished ninth in the 200 meter with a 24.24 time. Thompson also finished 29th in the 100m, while fellow teammate Tracie Nelson placed 39th.

In the 400m event, Mariam Kromah finished second with a time of 52.56 ahead of fellow runner Kai Selvon, who competed in the 2012 Summer Olympics for Trinidad and Tobago.

“Kromah was impressive today,” said coach Jon Stuart. “She anchored both relay teams and bettered our own school record in the 400m.”

Modesty Lorick continued the women’s good showing with a 10th place finish in the 400m hurdles, while Alondra Hoyos finished seventh in the 5000m event.

The women’s 4×100 relay finished second, the team made up of Adriana Allen, Lorick, Thompson and Kromah,
look to be in good shape as the Conference USA Outdoor Championships approach. The 4×400 team finished eighth, behind the likes of Clemson, Middle Tennessee State and Vanderbilt.

The men’s team also had bright spots as well over the weekend.

All C-USA sprinter Elbert Rogers finished second in the 400m, while Lorenzen Burton finished 10th in the event.

The men’s 4×400 relay team finished third, behind Clemson and Indiana. The team consisting of Rogers, Curtis Walker, Cameron Cox and Burton finished ahead of host Auburn by a 10th of a second.

Emron Gibbs finished second in the javelin throw, ahead of Southern Miss alum Ethan Rich. Thomas Peters finished seventh in the event.

Next for the Southern Miss track and field squads is the Southern Miss Invitational on April 15 and 16. The Southern Miss Invitational will be the only home meet of the season.

The meet will be held at Marshall Bell Track Complex with the first event on Friday scheduled for 3 p.m. The rest of the events will be held Saturday starting at 12:10 p.m.