Vine dies, social media lives on

Before the cool effects on Snapchat and Instagram, there was Vine.

You remember Vine, right?

It’s the app that you probably deleted to make more space on your iPhone.

Vine’s users had one simple mission: showcase the funniest videos they could record in a short timeframe, originally six seconds.

You could follow your favorite users and see their videos – looping as many times as you wanted to watch – on a timeline like Instagram.

Vine made those short video clips so popular that eventually other apps began allowing their users to do the same thing.

Before you really got the hang of Twitter, and before Instagram allowed users to post videos, Vine was the place to be online.

After three years, seven former executives’ creativity is now coming to an end, fast.

On Oct. 27, Twitter announced it would shut down Vine’s mobile app sometime in the next few months.

Vine reported to Medium.com that they value everyone but are going to discontinue the app the “right way.”

“You’ll be able to access and download your Vines. We’ll be keeping the website online because we think it’s important to still be able to watch all the incredible Vines that have been made. You will be notified before we make any changes to the app or website,” Vine told Medium. com.

Ironically, Vine was known as the “entertainment community where things happen fast.”

This certainly happened quickly right before our eyes.

You might ask yourself, “what’s the big deal?”

Imagine waking up one day to a text saying the company you work for is going out of business.

Hundreds of users utilized the app as a platform to create and become social media stars with tons of followers.

Their following led to branding deals and merchandise that allowed them to profit from the short snippets.

The quick demise of the video app might have some users wondering what social media app will be axed next, given that so many of what you see now is borrowed from other apps.

One example that sticks out recently was Instagram’s decision to add “story” options that closely resemble Snapchat’s “stories” function, or even Apple’s iOS 10 upgrade by which people could draw on photos and video and send them to others.

“It’s one of those things where they invented something which people then mimicked & got overshadowed,” @eveewing Tweeted.

Should Vine have sold to Twitter?

Many fans are saying no.

Twitter’s failure with Vine just confirms the broader struggles Twitter is having itself.

Twitter possibly could still have justified the cost of keeping the video service around if not for the added pressure it now faces to cut costs.

Vine isn’t just used for an array of comics, dancers, singers, and funny videos; although it is brilliant for all that, it was also used by journalists in covering events like Ferguson.

Looking forward, Vine may be over, but the app creators have not given up yet.

According to TechCrunch, Vine co-founders have created “Hype,” a live video app.

Hype will be going up against Twitter’s Periscope app and Facebook Live.

“Instagram is working on a live streaming launch called Go Insta,” TechCrunch reported.

In the next year, you can possibly expect a battle of the apps with one following the other’s lead.