USM track and field alumnus added to staff

Southern Miss track and field coach Kevin Stephen added former track and field standout Jeb Meschke to the staff to assist in training the jumpers.

The Garden City, Kan., native received All C-USA honors and was a national qualifier in 2004 after placing fifth at the Mideast Regional Meet.

“Jeb brings to the table championship pedigree, expertise in the jumps and genuine love for Southern Miss,” Stephen said.

Before coming to Southern Miss, Meschke was the head girls’ track coach at Windsor Forest High School in Georgia. He was an adaptive physical education teacher and served as the local Special Olympics coordinator for Chatham County.

Meschke served as the assistant coach for indoor and outdoor track and field at Garden City Community College in Kansas. In addition to his assistant coaching duties at Garden City, he served as the head strength and conditioning coach where he designed workouts for all track and field athletes.

“It’s great to be back at the University of Southern Mississippi,” Meschke said. “I am excited to help build on continued success of the track and field program.”

The USM track and field team will begin their season December 1 when they participate Birmingham Southern Indoor Meet.