USM senior chosen to represent Delta Gamma sorority

Hannah+Haulsee
Courtesy PHoto
Hannah Haulsee

University of Southern Mississippi senior pyschology major Hannah Haulsee was recently chosen from a competitive pool of applicants to serve on the 2017 – 2018 Collegiate Development Consultant (CDC) team for Delta Gamma Sorority.

According to USM’s website, Greek life at USM makes up 24 percent of the campus with 26 various chapters represented, including Delta Gamma. Greek organizations at USM seek to provide students with leadership skills and an inclination to serve the community.

Collegiate Development Consultants spend one academic year traveling to approximately 35 universities in North America with Delta Gamma chapters. During the visits that last from four to seven days, the CDCs meet with the chapter management team members and help with calendar planning, team building, risk management, recruitment preparation, mentorship and more, according to Delta Gamma. Each Delta Gamma chapter will host at least one CDC per year.

This year, 23 Collegiate Development Consultants were selected to support four recently founded chapters in addition to 150 established chapters at universities across North America. Two members of the current consultant team will be continuing for a second year.

According to Director of Extension and Consultants Lorie Hunter Holt, Haulsee stood out during the interview process because she is “an independent and thoughtful decision make who would be adaptable on the road, and a team member who would relate well to the women she would be working with.”

A team reviewed each candidate’s leadership experience and essays to determine whether the applicants demonstrated skills that they were looking for in consultants. In the interview, potential CDCs were tested on their critical thinking, communication, problem solving and strategic thinking.

Holt said the interview team noticed Haulsee’s upbeat personality and energy.

“I was initially very hesitant to apply to be a CDC. Serving as the Panhellenic President during the 2016 – 2017 school year was an experience that shaped my love for and belief in the sorority experience,” Haulsee said.

Haulsee joined the Delta Pi chapter of Delta Gamma in 2013 as a freshman.

As president of the College Panhellenic Council, Haulsee headed the governing body that is over the eight USM chapters in the National Panhellenic Conference. She said she was able to advocate for all Panhellenic members in different settings and look for ways to serve Greek life and the campus community.

“I served alongside some incredible women in various organizations and those women taught me so much about leading, expressing my passion and challenging myself to be empathic towards the needs of our community,” Haulsee said.

Haulsee said her experience in Delta Gamma helped her to form some of her strongest friendships. Her desire to assist college women in their leadership and personal development is what led her to apply for CDC. She was inspired by the Panhellenic women that she called “strong, courageous and integrity-driven” to spend the next year helping collegiate women in Delta Gamma chapters across North America to further develop their character.

“I feel more than humbled to be selected to represent our Panhellenic community and Delta Gamma at Southern Miss on the road next year as a Collegiate Development Consultant,” Haulsee said.

Delta Gamma1