Sigma Gamma Rho hosts Zumba Class for the community

Raven Payne
USM students joined Sigma Gamma Rho in the Payne Center for an electric Zumba session.

Sigma Gamma Rho recently created an evening of exercise and fun for the community on Jan. 25 by hosting a Zumba Class for the public.

The Exceptional Eta Tau Chapter invited all students to join them at a Zumba Class at the Payne Center, and gave students a few hours to work out and build their strength.

Franisse Simon, the president of The Exceptional Eta Tau Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated, and Briana Connor, financial secretary of The Exceptional Eta Tau Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated decided to host the event because it was the 30th annual National Healthy Weight Week.

“Well, this was a Zumba event to celebrate National Health Weight Week… that is what Sigma Gamma Rho was celebrating nationally, and we decided to do an event on campus about it,” Simon said.

In the Zumba class, students are invited to dance in an intense workout session, with electrifying music, warm ups and they can request music choices as well.

More events like this one will be coming up throughout the semester, according to the executives.

“We will be having a profit share soon, and in April we will be having SGRho Week, which will have a combination of different events,” Simon said. “So, it could be health , it could be social, it could be like dancing just anything.”

Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. was organized on Nov. 12, 1922, in Indianapolis, Indiana, by seven young educators. Sigma Gamma Rho is the only NPHC sorority founded at a predominately white institution. The only NPHC sorority not founded at Howard University. The only sorority with a poodle as its mascot and the only sorority founded at Butler University.

Since its inception, the dynamic women of Sigma Gamma Rho have built and sustained a well-known and well-respected reputation for leading positive change to help uplift the community through sisterhood, leadership, and service.

The Exceptional Eta Tau Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Incorporated is part of the University of Southern Mississippi National Panhellenic Council. The National Pan-Hellenic Council was established in 1930 at Howard University as a national coordinating body for the nine historically African American fraternities and sororities which had evolved on American college and university campuses.

.