Golden Eagles lose overtime game against Marshall, 4-3

The Southern Miss women’s soccer team (6-3-1, C-USA 0-1- 1) forced its second consecutive overtime game against conference opponent Marshall (3-7-0, C-USA 1-2-0) this past Sunday after an overtime draw against Western Kentucky last Thursday.

The first half of play was completely one-sided. Marshall recorded its first goal in the 30th minute of play when Freshman Rene Ross recorded her first goal of the season, 1-0. Ross’ goal would be the only one for the first half but the Herds defense would keep the match in their favor.

Marshall only allowed the Golden Eagles to record four shots in the first half. Southern Miss, a team who leads C-USA in shots and goals, struggled to find any opportunities in the first half as they recorded six fouls and two offsides calls to assist Marshall in keeping the momentum leading into the half.

Despite Marshall recording two more goals in the 52nd and 64th minute of play and increasing the lead to 3-0, Southern Miss found its offense late in the second half. Forward Ola Akinniyi broke the scoring drought for the Golden Eagles in the 67 minute with her fourth goal of the season, 3-1. Four minutes later, Akinniyi would yet again find the back of the net to bring Southern Miss within one, 3-2. After a failed corner by Marshall, Southern Miss found itself another opportunity to score after Stephanie Garcia headed in the tying goal in the 87th minute to force overtime.

Overtime would not last long as a defensive breakdown from the Golden lead to the go-ahead goal for Marshall in just one minute of overtime play, 4-3.

Southern Miss will have to wait to claim its first conference road victory but looks to improve on its conference record next Sunday when they host Rice University. Play is set for 1:00 p.m.