Summer to bring box-office hits

Summer+to+bring+box-office+hits+

The summertime for most college students is a time to kick back and relax, to hang out with friends, and any day can become movie day. Here are a couple movies to watch out for this summer:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2. (May 2)

This movie adaptation of the beloved comic books is back at it again. Andrew Garfield stars as Spider-Man as he faces off against the Green Goblin and Electro. There’s also word that this movie will be delving into the disappearance of Peter Parker’s parents and what top secret things they were working on.

X-Men: Days of Future Past. (May 23)

Marvel seems to have a monopoly on the month of May this year. The X-Men franchise has grown quite significantly since the releasing of the movies and continues to grow steadily. In this movie, the future is a dystopian society where the mutants are being taken out by shape changing robots so Wolverine’s mind is sent back to the 1970s to fix what went wrong in the first place. This movie could go either way, as loyal fans worry that it might be too stuffed with mutant cameos and shout outs. However, I still have high hopes. Hugh Jackman and James McAvoy on an Imax screen? Yes, please.

Maleficent. (May 30)

Angelina Jolie stars as the evil queen from “Sleeping Beauty” in what critics are calling a “mix between old school Disney and creepy gothic.” This should be an interesting film because it tells Maleficent’s story. Who does not love a villain background, as they are pretty rare?

The Sacrament. (June 6)

This found footage horror film is about a utopian Christian society in the middle of nowhere that seems to be very happy-go-lucky. But when a film crew goes to investigate this “too-good-to-be-true” society, they find that nothing is what it seems. Critics are very pleased and call this movie “an innovative piece of horror.”

How to Train Your Dragon 2. (June 13)

The dragons and dragon riders are back in this new tale that tells the story of the riders in their grown up, boring lives. They have trained their dragons and are now out and about exploring the world. Everything is great until they find themselves facing a new and bigger-than-life dragon-human conflict. This movie is sure to impress.

Transformers: Age of Extinction (June 27)

While  I am not admittedly a fan of space robot-themed movies, I will give this one a chance because it seems pretty interesting. The nuance of Optimus Prime on a space dinosaur is just too good to pass up. This movie stars Mark Wahlberg as he learns that his truck is not really a truck. Unfortunately, the U.S. government has outlawed all Autobots, just when they are needed most. (See? A lot of cliché going on here. Just watch out for the robo-saurs.)

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. (July 11)

I would be lying if I said I did not squeal like a happy little girl when I heard they were making a new Apes movie. When the last film was released with James Franco as the lead, everyone, including myself, was very shocked that it did so well. And I expect nothing less out of this one. The simian flu has decimated almost the entire human population and the Apes are busy making a society of their own. But can they avoid war? This movie is sure to be another fan favorite, and the trailer looks incredible.

Lucy (August 8)

When oblivious drug mule Scarlett Johansson accidentally ingests a drug she did not know she was smuggling, she gets superpowers (or rather, she unlocks the potential of her brain). Her natural reaction? We are going to go kill the people responsible. This action-packed movie is sure to thrill.

The Giver (August 15)

This movie is a book adaptation that all of my English major friends have been waiting for since around the sixth grade. If you have read the book, then you are aware that it is about a false utopian society where the members are forced to repress history and emotions. Although the protagonist is much older (and a lot of other things are different) movie-goers and book-readers alike are excited for this one.