UPD investigates threatening Yik Yak post to Hattiesburg campus

Aaron J. Stewart

University Police Department Officer Jared Pierce stands guard inside Joseph Green Hall today after threats were made on the social media app "Yik Yak" against the building. "It's probably just someone trying to get out of a test", he said jokingly, though he takes the threat seriously enough to keep his eyes vigilant.  Printz/ A.J. Stewart
University Police Department Officer Jared Pierce stands guard inside Joseph Green Hall today after threats were made on the social media app Yik Yak. “It’s probably just someone trying to get out of a test,”  he said, though he takes the threat seriously.  Printz/ A.J. Stewart

The University Police Department (UPD) is investigating a threatening post made on social media application Yik Yak this morning, regarding threats to members of the university community at Joseph Greene Hall on Tuesday.

According to Eagle Alert, UPD said they are taking this threat seriously and have increased the security in and around JGH. UPD said that the post is a possible hoax and there has been no other evidence to support the threat. In recent weeks, similar threats have occurred at other universities across the country.

A meeting with UPD Police Chief Bob Hopkins took place today at 2:30 p.m to discuss the Yik Yak situation.

“Currently, we are trying to resolve this with information that we have been able to obtain and so we can see who posted it,” Hopkins said.

Hopkins said UPD is using tools available and talking to the company that controls Yik Yak to track down the user who made the post. If the user is found, he or she could be charged with terroristic threats.

“We have to piece it all together, get the (person) in here and identify them and then determine what we will charge them with,” Hopkins said.

Hopkins said UPD will keep the campus updated with new information through Eagle Alert.

Report any suspicious activity to UPD at 601.266.4986.