Miss. residents re-elect Cochran, GOP takes the Senate

Miss.+residents+re-elect+Cochran%2C+GOP+takes+the+Senate+

Credit: Courtesy Photo

After a long and expensive midterm election cycle, Democrats lost control of the Senate, increased their minority in the House and saw losses in gubernatorial races because of economic woes and presidential unpopularity, leaving Republicans reinvigorated and in control of the legislative agenda for the next two years.

Republicans have gained Senate seats in North Carolina, Arkansas, Montana and South Dakota because of disappointment with unstable economic growth and resentment with President Obama, according to the New York Times.

Sen. Thad Cochran effortlessly beat his opponents Democrat Party candidate Travis Childers and Reform Party candidate Shawn O’Hara to gain a seventh term representing Mississippi in the Senate.

Mississippi’s representatives are Republican Alan Nunnelee, Democrat Bennie Thompson, Republican Greg Harper and Republican Steven Palazzo, whom won re-election in the first, second, third and fourth districts, respectively.

Turnout in Mississippi was lower this election cycle than midterms in 2010 and 2006. Only a little over 575,000 voters appeared in this midterm, compared to 788,000 in 2010 and 610,000 in 2006, according to data from the Secretary of State.