Golden Eagles drop pair in Texas

A two-game Texas road trip to play Rice and North Texas left Southern Miss reeling after getting swept in both matches

Thursday and Friday. Southern Miss started its contest against Rice behind in the early going, 15-11, before coach Amanda Berkely took a timeout to get her troops on the same page. Unfortunately, the break did not help the Golden Eagles as they fell 25-22.

A Rachel Johnson kill gave Southern Miss an early 13- 10 lead in the second set, but Southern Miss was not able to capitalize on the early momentum. An 11-8 run by the Owls gave them a 25-21 set win. Down 2-0, Southern Miss needed to win the final three sets to come away with the win, but failed to even win the first one.

The third set was the most competitive as there were 14 ties and three lead changes. Unfortunately, the Golden Eagles fell 25-22 in a close one.

The match was never out of reach for the Golden Eagles, but they were never able to finish in any of the three sets.

Unable to salvage the competition against Rice, the Golden Eagles took the 279- mile trek up to Denton, Texas, to take on North Texas.

Coming off of the loss, Southern Miss got out to a 12-8 advantage against the Mean Green. The tide looked like it was turning for the Golden Eagles, until they let the opposition jump out to a 21-19 advantage. North Texas took a timeout and then came out to beat the Golden Eagles 25-22.

The second set was the closest set in the match as both teams stayed neck-and-neck until North Texas took a 22-20 lead. Following a timeout, the Mean Green took control to win 25-21.

Southern Miss fell behind early in the third set 4-1, but fought back to tie the set at six.

North Texas then used a 10-4 run to take a 16-10 advantage. With their backs against the wall, Southern Miss had to at least stay competitive in the final moments to extend the match, but the Mean Green refused to let up, taking the match 25-23.

Three players for North Texas finished with double-doubles, and the Mean Green out-killed the Golden Eagles by a wide margin of 46-31.

The Golden Eagles have lost their last four away games, putting in doubt if they can capitalize on their opponents when they are away from Reed Green Coliseum.

Southern Miss will travel to Huntington, West Virginia, to take on Marshall, hoping to turn the tide against their recent away game woes on Nov. 9.