Beach volleyball finishes strong at BeachBurg Invitational

Southern Miss Athletics

Southern Miss Beach Volleyball posted a perfect 6-0 performance at the BeachBurg invitational tournament this past weekend.

The tournament was the first and only home event of the year and marked the Golden Eagles (12-14, 2-4) three more wins in the new season.

The performance was highlighted by a high-stakes three-set win by Valeria Siakidou Papakyriakou and Madison Cassidy to take a 3-2 win over Spring Hill.

In the weekend’s first match, Southern Miss took on Loyola New Orleans, and won the contest with a perfect performance, winning in straight sets across all six duals. Wilo Meinheit and Dylan Russell both added to the Golden Eagles’ impressive totals, winning their sets with scores of 21-5 and 21-6 in the game’s fourth pair. The Golden Eagles outscored Loyola 42-11 over the two sets.

The next match for Southern Miss was against Spring Hill, culminating in the most exciting match of the weekend. After dropping the first two points, Southern Miss needed to sweep the second wave of competition.

They did just that.

First, Ola Chudzik and Sarah Murczek won their matches handily, and then Russell and Ashlyn Rough both won their sets to bring the overall score even 2-2 and force a game-deciding pairing with Papakyriakou and Cassidy.

The duo ran away with a 15-7 victory, giving Southern Miss its game-deciding third point and its fifth win of the weekend.

To finish the weekend, Southern Miss collected a victory over Nicholls by a score of 4-1. Nicholls took the game’s first set, but Southern Miss swept the rest with impressive performances by Sarah Murczek and Carmen Sanchez Delgado.

Up next: Southern Miss travels to Atlanta, Ga., for the GSU Diggin’ Duals. Competition begins Friday, April 5, against LSU and closes on Saturday, April 6, against Sun Belt foe Georgia State.