USM volleyball sweeps Charlotte

In a stellar performance, the Southern Miss volleyball team defeated the Charlotte 49ers (25-18, 25-12, 25-14) respectively Friday in Conference USA action.

Sophomore middle blocker Elise Ames had a strong impact in the victory. She led the team with 10 kills on .500 hitting for the Lady Eagles. Sophomore outside hitters Quinci Hayward and Lydia Bonner brought in eight and seven kills, respectively.

To begin the set, Charlotte took charge, jumping out to a commanding 8-3 lead in the first set. After a Southern Miss timeout, the Lady Eagles went on an 11-4 run that started from Ames three back-to-back kills to take a 14-13 lead.

Following the dramatic run by the Eagles, the 49ers tied the set at 14-14; however, Southern Miss scored the next seven points increasing the lead to 21-17. The Eagles won the first set 25-18 on a 4-1 run.

Southern Miss opened the second set with a great deal of intensity as the Eagles took a convincing 11-3 lead early on. Nevertheless, Charlotte fought back and brought the score within five points. Despite the 49ers stand, the Eagles finished on 14-6 run to win the set 25-12.

In the third set, Southern Miss took a 7-1 lead over the 49ers. From there, the Eagles put up nine additional points to take a 16-3 lead before the 49ers called a timeout. Despite calling a timeout to regroup, the Eagles continued their total control of the third set winning the set 25-14 and sweeping Charlotte in three games.

Senior setter Kristen Fleming delivered 30 assists, three kills and seven digs. Sophomore Libero Mary Pursell produced 20 digs for the Eagles.

Carly Oschs led all 49er scorers with eight kills, followed by Claire Kreuz with seven kills. Michelle Hovey tallied 17 digs for the Charlotte defense.

USM also defeated FAU Sunday in four sets 3-1 advancing them to the Conference USA tournament.