USM drops second- straight midweek game

At Trustmark Park in Pearl, the Golden Eagles (22-8) fell to No.14 Ole Miss 6-2 on Tuesday night, snapping a six-game winning streak.

The Golden Eagles struggled offensively, only able to get two hits through the first four innings. For the entirety of the game, the Golden Eagles were only able to amass eight hits in the game.

Southern Miss also struggled in the field, giving up five runs in just the first three innings. Mason Walley opened the game on the mound for the Golden Eagles. He threw 2.2 innings, allowing nine hits and the five runs that gave up an early lead to the Rebels.

Walley was not the only pitcher to play in the contest, as coach Scott Berry also employed Nick Sandlin, Walker Powell, Austin Millet and Cody Livingston. Just as against Mississippi State, Berry went deep into his rotation to halt the runs that Ole Miss was putting on the scoreboard in the game.

On the positives for USM, the Golden Eagle relievers retired 13 in a row at one point before giving up a hit in the eighth.

After allowing the five runs in the first three innings, four Southern Miss relievers limited the Rebels to two hits and one unearned run the rest of the game.

On the mound for Ole Miss was ace James McArthur, who threw a solid six innings allowing no runs on four hits with two walks and five strikeouts. McArthur not only limited the Golden Eagles from getting on the scoreboard, but also limited them from any comeback that USM was thinking through the first six frames.

Chase Scott started the seventh inning off by getting on base off of an error. Following a Storme Cooper single, Scott crossed the plate for USM’s first run.

Southern Miss showed life again in the eighth inning as Dylan Burdeaux started the inning with a double. Jake Sandlin followed Burdeaux’s double with a single himself. Tim Lynch’s deep sacrifice fly made the score 6-2, by bringing in Burdeaux to cut the Rebel lead.

In the ninth inning for USM’s last chance, the Golden Eagles loaded the bases against the Rebels, but the come-from- behind bid for a late rally was ended with a strikeout and a groundout for the final two outs.

Southern Miss returns to action this weekend starting this Friday at 6 p.m. when they host Middle Tennessee in a three-game Conference USAseries.