The Grammy Awards were just fine, and that’s it

Graphic by Abigail Troth.

The 66th Grammy Awards kicked off on Sunday, Feb. 4, pulling in millions of viewers across the nation. And it was just alright. There was nothing stellar about the ceremony, besides a few historical moments and stunning performances.

The evening was opened with an electric performance by Dua Lipa, but the rest of the evening’s electricity soon fizzled out. Veteran host Trevor Noah made his entrance into the arena, where he praised the nominees and made a few chuckle-worthy jokes. It was nice to see that most of the nominees in the major categories like Record and Album of the Year were women.

Taylor Swift arguably earned the most attention that night when she announced her newest album, “The Tortured Poets Department,” and made history as the artist with the most Album of the Years. She was previously tied with Stevie Wonder, Frank Sinatra and Paul Simon, so it’s also nice to see a woman come out on top.

Miley Cyrus also earned her first Grammy Award, which warmed the heart of the girl who once knew her as platinum blonde wig-wearing Hannah Montana. But during her performance, she seemed to be channeling the energy of Tina Turner, who died last year. Either way, it was still a deserved win for Cyrus after spending so many years in the industry.

The night really reached its peak when legendary singers Joni Mitchell and Billy Joel made their grand return to music and stepped out on that stage. It was absolutely magical. Mitchell made her first performance at the Grammy Awards at 80 years old, and Joel returned to music after a 30 year absence. These two powerhouses delivered powerful performances, reminding the industry that they are still iconic.

The In Memoriam segment was something else, however. Not only did it last forever, but it was a barrage of performances from many different singers. Stevie Wonder honored Tony Bennett, Annie Lennox honored Sinead O’Connor, and Fantasia honored Turner.

It was a good idea, in theory. But the vibes felt like an amalgamation rather than a special moment. However, it was pretty legendary for Lennox to call for a ceasefire in Gaza while honoring O’Connor, who was notoriously criticized for ripping up a picture of the Pope during a performance on Saturday Night Live. It felt like a way to honor the “stick-it-to-the-man” legacy that O’Connor left behind. And when Fantasia took the stage to honor the Queen of Rock n’ Roll, the audience just knew that it would be an incredible performance. And, of course, it was.

The final cherry-on-top was when global icon, Celine Dion, walked out on stage to deliver Swift’s Grammy Award for Album of the Year. What an absolute legend (and no, I still haven’t forgotten how Rolling Stone left her out of “the 200 Greatest Singers of All Time” list).

Other than that, the night was pretty forgettable. Noah was a fairly boring host, which was disappointing to see after his previously good years. I can’t argue with the people that did win, since they all felt pretty deserved. But the ceremony was just what I feared—lackluster.