Invest 99-L escalates to depression in gulf

On Aug. 28 at 4p.m. the National Hurricane Center reported that Invest 99-L has formed into a tropical depression.

Meteorologists project that Tropical Depression 9 will make landfall along the US Gulf Coast later next week, according to AccuWeather Hurricane Center.

The tropical depression was located 60 miles south of Key West, Florida when reported Sunday and current atmospheric conditions could increase the depression’s strength. According to AccuWeather, residents of northeastern Gulf Coast between Alabama and the northwestern Florida peninsula can expect flooding and strong winds if the storm escalates.

“Enhanced showers and gusty thunderstorms can be expected with localized flooding possible along the system’s path,” reported AccuWeather Meteorologist Ed Vallee.

Predictions point to the depression making landfall Thursday afternoon along the northeastern section of the Gulf Coast stretching from Alabama to Florida.

“At this time, there are no direct tropical impacts expected in South Mississippi from this system,” reported WLOX First Alert Meteorologist Wesley Williams.