USM Ceramics National showcase

Southern Miss Ceramics 2016

The Southern Miss Ceramics National Show opened in the George Hurst Building’s Gallery of Art and Design Oct. 4.

The event was the second gallery show of the semester and, according to attendees, set the bar for the rest of the year. Featured items were ceramics and sculptures from around the country.

“The artists I included in the 2016 Southern Miss Ceramics National make works that explore memory, place and personal narrative,” said show juror Brian Harper. “By creating work that reflects on the human experience, these artists filter content through their personal histories, allowing for a meaningful connection between the maker and their audience.

“Collectively, the works included in this exhibition respond to and connect with each other to form an exhibition that celebrates the vitality and breadth of Contemporary Ceramic Sculpture being made throughout the United States.”

This show featured pieces ranging from detailed ceramic pieces to life-size sculptures.

Some pieces approached the unconventional realm like “Marked Invitation: Blue” by Wade McDonald. The piece was illuminated by LED lighting under a casing of blue plexiglass and immediately caught the eye.

Some works showed a more simplistic nature, such as “Memory No. 17” by Du Chau where the viewer could get close and personal with the art to see its shadows and weight.

The one piece that struck me the most, though, was Charity White’s “Bo Diddley Plaza,” a video documentation. This was displayed on a flat-screen television.

The Southern Miss Ceramics National show will be open in the gallery Oct. 4 – Nov. 4.

Artist Kenneth Baskin will give a ceramic sculpture demonstration 10 a.m. to noon on Oct. 10 in the 3D Arts Building.

Harper will give an artist lecture Oct. 11 at 6 p.m. in Liberal Arts Building 108.